Friday, January 16, 2015

The Downton Abbey Drawing Room Desk


The first piece of furniture I purchased last year and tucked away for the Downton Abbey window display was this very large, ornate desk.  I am afraid I don't have a before photo to share, but I can tell you that it was a faded, light oak piece with a tiny round brass knob and the carvings were all but lost in the dull oak finish.  Not an antique, but a good quality piece most likely from the early 90's, I loved the details on the legs and the overall curvy, majestic lines.


Two coats of French Linen provided a completely new look for the oak desk.  I accented the beautiful leg carvings with a custom mix of Old Ochre and Old White.  After applying both clear and dark wax over the entire desk, I used Gold Gilding wax to further highlight the details.


A more substantial and gorgeous drawer pull found at The Purple Pear in Portland replaced the former small round knob that had seemed so inadequate for such a large and ornate piece of furniture.

I have just learned that the desk sold this week!  Thankfully the woman who bought it has graciously agreed to let it stay in the window until the end of the month when I take down my display.


If you follow me on Facebook, you've most likely seen these photos already, but I wanted to go ahead and share them here as well!


The Downton Abbey window displays will be up until the end of the month.  This was such a fun way to start off the new season of Downton Abbey!  Are you watching?  Are you loving it as much as I am?


On the Friday before the season premiere, we had an event in downtown Camas where customers came dressed in vintage attire, wore tiaras, discovered their aristocratic name, drank tea and tested their Downton Abbey knowledge with trivia about the show.  I even had the theme song playing in the window display to get shoppers in the mood for the new season!  It was so great to see other Downton Abbey enthusiasts join in the fun!


You may recognize a couple of projects I have shared here on the blog.  I wrote tutorials last month on how I created the Downton Abbey Drawing Room Doors and also for the Concrete Finish on the Resin Lions.


I also created a series of photos featuring some of my very favorite quotes from Downton Abbey.  These were printed, mounted and hung on the walls of the window display.  I hope to also offer them on Etsy sometime in the near future, either as prints, posters or downloads.




Did you miss the post about my Downton Abbey Servant's Quarter's window display?  Find it here!


I love pulling inspiration for projects, displays, art and decor from favorite TV shows, books and movies.  Downton Abbey offers so much beauty and history, not to mention fabulous entertainment!  I have enjoyed it so much over the past few years and was thrilled to have had the opportunity to share my love of Downton and the abundance of inspiration it supplies me with!

Thank you so much for your sweet visit today!

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda



Sharing With:
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
 Friday's Unfolded at Nancherrow
 Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants