Thursday, June 21, 2012

It's a keeper...


Last week I shared the beginnings of a room transformation.  Our former formal living room which was so seldomly used and that had been furnished with a lot of Victorian hand me downs was stripped bare for a fresh start.  Hoping to create a comfortable, less formal sitting room which would also function as my studio, I painted this dresser/credenza last week to hold art and craft supplies.  I wanted to do something new and unique with the paint treatment but decided on the same Paris Grey accented in Old White look that I used for the Pemberley Buffet.  The colors turned out to be perfect for the piece and for the room.



I realize that the before photo doesn't make this piece look as pathetic as most of the pieces I rescue and makeover.  Although this dresser wasn't in bad shape when I picked it up, it was a funny greenish color (not quite cream as it appears in the photo).  It also had a laminate top which wasn't so pretty and was obviously used in a teenage girl's room because it had bits of pink and purple nail polish dried on some of the drawer fronts. 




Two coats of Annie Sloan's Paris Grey and a little dark wax and no one will ever know this once looked like a dated formica counter top!






I love to accent beautiful details on furniture with Old White and dark wax against a bold background.  These details were all but lost with the original finish on this piece.






I didn't do a thing to the hardware.  It was complete and beautiful as is.  Lucky me!





Our new sitting room/studio is coming right along!  I now have a chaise lounge and a storage credenza!  Tomorrow, my husband and father in law are picking up a beautiful 8 ft. long table for me!  I would love to keep going on this room but I think I will stop, for now and focus on a few things for the shop!  Don't worry though, there will be a complete room reveal post before too long!





It felt a bit like a luxury to actually take the time to paint something substantial for our own home.  This piece is definitely a keeper.  I think I am going to enjoy it for a long time!  Until the day I find something I love more!  Hee hee!
It's always fun to have options!



Thank you for your sweet visit!  And thank you for your kind comments and emails!  I feel blessed to have so many wonderful Blog friends!  I hope you are all having a lovely week! 

Best Wishes and Blessings,
Amanda 


Sharing this post with these fun link parties:
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Restored it Wednesday at Restore Interiors
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Party at Shades of Amber
THT at From My Front Porch to Yours
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Link Party at Redoux Interiors
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Inspiration Friday at The Pickett Fence
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Home
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Fridays Unfolded at Stuff and Nonsense
Furniture Feature Friday at Miss Mustard Seed