Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Almond Sugar Cookies, a Family Tradition

Acorns!

I have been on a baking spree over the last couple of days, and I thought I would share a favorite family cookie recipe this evening.  The almond flavor adds a classy twist to the traditional sugar cookie.  These are the cookies my mom baked most often when I was little.  We had a collection of cookie cutters to fit every season/holiday.   I have fond memories of sitting at the kitchen table with my dad, frosting and decorating these cookies for hours!  My dad would spend 30 minutes on one cookie...creating a confectionary masterpiece, to be devoured in 30 seconds.  Over the past several years I have put together my own collection of cookie cutters...a lot of holiday and a bit of randomness too!  My boys love helping make these, especially the frosting part but they also get a kick out of digging through the cookie cutters.  Usually we do something that relates to an upcoming holiday but sometimes I let them get extra creative and we have flamingo or elephant cookies!  ;)

Almond Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
3/4 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp almond flavoring
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions
Mix butter, sugar, eggs and almond flavoring.  Add baking powder and salt.  Mix well.  Add flour, mix well.  Chill for at least 1 hour.  Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes after rolling dough to 1/8" thick and cutting into desired shapes.

Frosting
I don't measure when making frosting...just beat butter, powdered sugar and a little vanilla until soft peaks form.  I add a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder to make chocolate frosting.

Enjoy!